Friday, November 04, 2005

dhanian?? rikky?? Virgin??(and yes in this we dont capitalize the first letter!!!) Well they are the names of the same guy... And yes that's me!!! This one the most interesting aspects of life in IITM. Once you are here, your "name" is what people here want to call you by and the "nickname" is the name your parents gave you. In fact the tradition is such a long one that , when a alumini of the institute, Shri Kumar Suryanarayana, president(R&D), Biocon,had come to inaugurate Shaastra '05, the director, under whom he had been a student, introduced him as "frenchie", a name which kumar was very proud of would seem funny for an outsider, but life becomes so much simpler with nicks. Take for a example a situation, in our hostel where we have two guys with the same "nicknames",Anand. But the nick system has removed all the confusion. One guy walks like duck ,so ducky is the "name" and the other dude runs to taramani every time he gets the call of nature,so taramani is the "name"!!
I presume that there is science behind this seemingly absurd naming system. It has been proven that our picture memory helps us recollect stuff longer, than by simply reading or reciting it a hundred times. So every nick has a funda, and through that funda(however dirty it may be, it has to be funny!!!) we remember the names of people: spanky; funda: he spanked a girl on the back side at school. Can you forget this guy's name now??The nicks are not restricted to students , some profs( who tend to make sure that they leave a imprint on whom so ever they teach.. You know what I mean!!!) like for example "kballs" is K. balakrishnan, and so on..
Irrespective of what is in store for me in the future, I will never forget the "names" that I got at IITM!!

11 comments:

SpankMac said...

yeess, i agree. so many, we don't even know their real names..

but dude, NO! how dare you broadcast the funda behind my name!!

now, to clarify, whoever has read that, i did NOT 'spank' a girl at school. what happened was this: the seniors asked me a time when i was embarassed, and after telling them many things which didn't satisfy them i finally told this, "once when i was in 9th std., there was this good friend of mine, i went and hit her on her butt with the book which was in my hand, saying 'hi'. but i didn't know it was rude to hit girls on the butt. and she told me so right away, don't do that again blah blah"

so they decided to name me spanky :)

Ducky said...

That and all I don't care! Spanky spanked a girl, Spanky spanked a girl!!!! But yeah, even I'm beginning to respond to Ducky or Duckman or Ducks more than Anand these days!

Dharik said...

its some much more easier to say spanky then to say tejas..
and that my friend is the bottomline...
ha ha
dhanian

Manasi Subramaniam said...

Virgin? They actually call you Virgin? :-) Wow! And what about when you alter that situation? Will you still be called Virgin?

And Anand, my dear. What about Ducky ****? ;-) (You know what I mean. If you don't, come check my phone!!)

Dharik said...

manasi,
well.. you will have just have to be patient to find out the answer to that question..
what about ducky****? let us in on that .. will you?

AG said...

wow.. your in some form.. blog after blog after blog.. Thank god some chutia level nicknames were left out of ur blog :) What abt ur other wingies, they hv funny names too..

Ducky said...

OK, Ducky**** DOES NOT EXIST! NO! IT IS A MISCONCEPTION, AN ABERRATION!!! NO.... (Manasi, I'll get you for this!)

Dharik said...

somebody please clear the air for me!!!
dharik

Manasi Subramaniam said...

Dharik,

Don't listen to what Anand says. Ducky **** DOES exist. Believe me! I won't tell you now, though, because I want something to blackmail the dear lad with. :-)

Ducky said...

Ducky**** is the product of an overly-fertile imagination of an overly-jobless girl. THAS ALL. ALL DISCUSSIONS on it end HERE and NOW! :)

CB said...

macha..read all the posts in this blog da..extremely outrageously funny..do take some time off..it'll surely give you a change of mind..
http://docsdope.blogspot.com/