Friday, July 14, 2006


WHY??WHY???
“I just witnessed the most outrageous piece of skill from zizou.It has spurred me on dedicate a piece on my blog for this great legend of football. It was his bald head which sprung him to fame in 1998, when as a youngster he was part of the French world cup winning side, contributing in part with his two goals against brazil. 8 years on, he still has the fire burning in him, and I am sure anyone who saw that chipped penalty over buffon, would agree with me when I say only a player of zidane s class could have done that.”

These were my instant thoughts after seeing Zidane score the penalty in the World cup final against Italy. Little did I know that, what was to follow would be even more dramatic and leave us all dumbfounded. And yes it was bald head again in the thick of the action!With ten minutes left on the clock, a rush of blood through Zidane makes him go head first into Materazzi’s abdomen. An act of utter frustration, he saw red and brought an abrupt end to his illustrious career No wonder they say sport is unpredictable. Within a spate of 100 minutes, the genius went on to being a lunatic..

A true ambassador for the sport , Zidane represents the success of Algerian immigrants in modern French society. His success represents the success of this community. He is also a UN ambassador and has been known to a very philanthropic person.

Sadly though, despite whatever he has achieved and done for club and country, “Zizou” will always be remembered for his last act………..THE ZIZOU!!

No wonder they say in cricket parlance “you are as good as your last innings”.

This is to toast to one of my favourite footballers!

No comments: